Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Pastor's Life - How Jesus sees us, and others

How Jesus sees us, and others

by Rev. Dr. Andrew Kort

I typically dislike when my job is mentioned as a part of my introduction to others. I cannot count how many times have I been introduced to someone with the words, “This is Andy, the pastor at our church.”

It is not that I have an unfavorable view of my calling or the church I serve or am embarrassed by my profession, but I do know that when someone hears the words, “pastor” or “church” those words are potentially loaded with a tremendous amount of preconceived notions, both good and bad. As a result, some immediately lose interest in me, while others will then only want to discuss church in way too much detail.

I always worry that they make judgments on my political and social positions because I am a pastor at a Christian church in America. I understand that we sometimes need markers of identification, but I prefer it when I’m just introduced as “Andy” and then let people get to know me from there.

Because of this, it always strikes me as odd in the Bible when we are introduced to someone by their job or vocation. Of course, in some cases it helps to identify and differentiate between people who share the same name. Simon the Tanner is not the same person as Simon the Fisherman or even Simon the Leper. In a book full of people without last names, I guess this is beneficial. Yet, other times, I am not so sure it is helpful.

Rev. Dr. Andy Kort serves as co-pastor of First Presbyterian Church in Annapolis, Md. graduated from Appalachian State University in Boone, N.C. He received his Master of Divinity from Princeton Theological Seminary and his Doctor of Ministry degree from Pittsburgh Theological Seminary. Prior to his time in Annapolis, he served as Senior Pastor of First Presbyterian Church of Bloomington, IN. Before that, Andy served as Pastor of Pilgrim Presbyterian Church in Phillipsburg, NJ and Associate Pastor of Larchmont Avenue Church in Larchmont, NY.

Featured Resources

Reframing Stewardship as a Spiritual Discipline of Generosity

Rev. Dr. April Davis Campbell spoke at Stewardship Kaleidoscope 2022 on how to reframe stewardship into a spiritual discipline of generosity.

 

Donor-Advised Funds Make Giving Easy

A donor-advised fund is a simple way to support causes you love and create a legacy of generosity in your family.

Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram
Join our group on LinkedIn

No comments:

Post a Comment