Tuesday, February 7, 2023

Pastor's Life - Learn New Tricks

Can This Old Dog Learn New Tricks?
by Rev. Shannon White

Almost two months ago, we got a puppy. At now 5 months, she’s the most adorable thing—a Bernedoodle (mom is a Bernese Mountain Dog and dad is a Poodle). She’s soft and incredibly calm and so lovable, in fact, the vet called her an amazing dog as far as her personality and demeanor.

Still, we haven’t had a puppy in 16 years. That means I was 16 years younger than I am now at age 63. Our beloved dog, Max, died during the pandemic shutdown at age 14. So, I’m long past the time of remembering what it was like getting up early for quick trips outside and training this sweet pup (whose name is Gidget) to do what we need her to do. Thank goodness my husband is an early riser, and my church is 5 minutes away from home so I can drop in during the day to take her out.

We enlisted a trainer, who, of course trains the humans in the relationship. After the first session, I thought, I’m an old(er) dog now…can I still learn new tricks?

I had gotten used to my schedule—sometimes working longer than I should; not always taking time to get out and exercise like I used to; and experiencing long periods of peace and quiet to work on sermons and other tasks at my computer without interruption. Much like an infant, this little fluffball has upended my comfortable work-driven adult life where I could do what I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it.

Thank God.

Rev. Shannon White is the Pastor for Spiritual Development at Round Hill Community Church in Greenwich, CT. She has been ordained since 1991 and has served churches in New York and CT. She is also a two-time Emmy nominated television journalist and the author of two books: The Invisible Conversations with Your Aging Parents; and How Was School Today? Fine.

Featured Resources

Pittsburgh Theological Seminary President explores courage and curiosity during the Presbyterian Foundation's 'Leading Theologically'

Rev. Dr. Lee Hinson-Hasty hosted a conversation with Rev. Dr. Asa J. Lee, the president of Pittsburgh Theological Seminary about how courage is a daily exercise.

The House Next Door: Gateway Presbyterian Church

What should a church do with property it no longer needs? Gateway Presbyterian Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, decided to use the manse that belongs to the church as housing for refugees moving to the area from Afghanistan. This beautiful act of hospitality is a new way to use existing property. Find out more in this short but powerful video.

Rev. Dr. Katie Geneva Cannon: Womanist Scholar

Celebrate Black History Month by learning about one of the most influential theologians in the history of the PC(USA), the late Rev. Dr. Katie Cannon. This video, created in 2018, tells her story in her own words; it was her last video interview before her death.

Fully Human and Fully God

In the lectionary preview for February, Rev. Greg Allen-Pickett writes about how Transfiguration Sunday proclaims the paradox that Jesus was fully human and fully divine, and Jesus’ presence on Earth reminds us of the ways in which God walks with us still today.

No comments:

Post a Comment