Thursday, December 22, 2022

How the Outlook is building community

The Outlook is able to provide trustworthy, independent journalism becuase readers like you support it.  Give to the Outlook.
Friends,
 
My first memory of writing comes from when I was 11, and my math teacher suggested I write my feelings down after I overheard some racial slurs directed toward me.

More than 30 years later, writing down my feelings still feels like God’s grace personified. It’s been seven years since my first book was published and one thing my publisher asked me when we first started working together was, “What do you want to do with this book and in life?” I responded, “I just want to write books, share the good news and speak all over the world.”

Support the Outlook's publishing ministry with an end-of-year donation today >

I have always wanted to write for a magazine and see my byline on a feature piece. Last April, we turned over our entire issue to Black women theologians, scholars, poets and writers. It was one of the greatest team efforts I have been a part of, but authoring a feature for this issue is one of my top ten of personal achievements. What I did not realize last spring is that my interviews with members of the Disparities Experienced by Black Women and Girls Task Force would spark a new title for my work with the Outlook: director of community engagement.

This position allows me to connect with people in person and through Outlook's social media channels as a way to foster community and develop connections. I believe community engagement is all about using our digital universe to create spaces that nurture intentional and meaningful relationships with the ultimate goal of cultivating the love and wisdom found in Christ Jesus.
In my other work as an author and the moderator of the National Capital Presbytery, I get to visit different churches, and I always love mentioning my role at the Outlook as I meet new people. The responses range from piqued curiosity that the Outlook is still in print to gratitude from small lay-led congregations who use our worship resources every week. I get to meet new friends such as Ann from Colesville Presbyterian, who shared her excitement to see Teri speak at Massanetta Springs last month. Being able to share stories with old and new friends is exactly what my new role is designed to do.
“I just want to write books, share the good news and speak all over the world." God has this way of taking your dreams and wants and amplifying them for God’s purpose and glory. To be a part of a 200-year institution that continues to create impact, introduce the church to more ways of being, to grow beyond what we can even fathom, is better than my own hopes.
 
I am excited about what is coming ahead of us in 2023. I want to build our online presence and offer content to each of you that is thought-provoking, educational, and, at times, just for fun. With your generous gift, we will be able to do exciting and innovative things, and we cannot thank you enough. Please consider an end-of-year tax-deductible gift.

Abundant Hope,

Shani McIlwain
Community Engagement Editor
Presbyterian Outlook
Give to the Outlook

No comments:

Post a Comment