Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Pastor's Life: Rewilding

Rewilding the Pastor's Spirit
by Rev. Ivan Herman

At once the Spirit forced Jesus out into the wilderness. He was in the wilderness for forty days, tempted by Satan. He was among the wild animals, and the angels took care of him. (Mark 1:12-13 CEB)

Growing up I loved to read wilderness survival and adventure books. My favorites were My Side of the Mountain, a 1959 book by Jean Craighead George about a boy and his falcon surviving in the Catskill Mountains, and Hatchet, a 1986 book by Gary Paulson about a boy and, well, his hatchet he uses to survive in a Canadian wilderness after a plane crash. In both stories the wilderness is an opponent to be struggled against and a teacher to learn from. The characters gain independence, new capabilities, and ultimately discover more about who they are by being in the wild.

These days, traveling out of cell phone range can feel unsettling, plus I’ve learned I’m not a big fan of precipices, canyons, bridges, ledges, or any high place (sorry, Alex Honnold, but Free Solo is akin to a horror movie for me). Nevertheless, I still like to get out and hike a rocky trail, sink my toes in the grass, or just feel the cold rain on my neck. The wilderness is an opponent and a teacher. Sometimes I feel beaten by it, but often it teaches us me who I am and what I am capable of doing.

Rev. Ivan Herman has served as the associate pastor at Carmichael Presbyterian Church since 2009 and is active in the Presbytery of North Central California. He grew up in Ecuador and Colombia, and has previously served as pastor or ruling elder in Presbyterian congregations in Memphis, TN, Washington, DC, and San Antonio, TX.

Featured Resources

A Reminder for all of us on Easter

In the April Lectionary Preview, Rev. Lorenzo Small discusses how Jesus taught the disciples and how their experiences teach us now.  

Donor-Advised Funds

Donor-Advised Funds are a simple way to support causes you love and create a legacy of generosity in your family.

Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Follow us on Instagram
Join our group on LinkedIn
Privacy Policy|
Presbyterian Foundation
200 E 12th Street, Jeffersonville, IN 47130

No comments:

Post a Comment