Catarina Williams, executive director of the League of Creative Minds, said the educational nonprofit teaches young people about preventing conflict and promoting reconciliation. “We are meeting with all types of organizations and civil society groups that work on nuclear disarmament, preventing nuclear proliferation, and the elimination of nuclear weapons,” she said. “Back home in the United States, we are a neutral space that encourages youth to think about and work on all the issues your organization works on.”
Youth delegates from the League of Creative Minds visit various schools, teaching youth the harms of nuclear weapons. “I cannot think of a more relevant organization to meet with and only wish I had found you earlier!” said Williams.
Student delegate Grace Pilgrim-Janopaul explained that most of the league’s delegates meet weekly during the school year to debate and discuss topics. “Everyone shares and discusses current events, such as what is going on in politics, and they also discuss past events and how they were resolved,” she said. “The focus is on using logic, consensus, and talking points, along with learning how to speak and how the United Nations works, along with other organizations that try to promote peace and agreement.”
Student Scarlet Wen explained that the group is on a field study in Europe. “We are going to Brussels, we are here in Switzerland, Geneva, and we are also going to Vienna to learn about nuclear policy,” she said. “It has been a really exciting experience, and I am so excited to be involved in this sort of thing.”
Student Jade Yoo said she was interested in nuclear policy and disarmament. “So I started a chapter of students for disarmament at my school, and that is why I came on this field study to kind of learn more about the disarmament movement, as well as nuclear policy and energy, and how it is being applied throughout Europe,” she said. “I think it was really interesting to come here and see how the World Council of Churches has been handling nuclear disarmament.”
Yoo added that the meeting inspired her and made her want to take action. “I can get involved,” she said. “I believe that disarmament is essential.”
She also thought the WCC is doing a great job at lifting the voices of those who were affected by nuclear crises. “I think the WCC is truly the peak of the world,” she said. “I am living those voices.”
Yoo said she will bring back with her the lessons she has learned about diplomacy, discussions, and soft power in helping create real change. “But something that I learned from this specific meeting is, I am really interested in North-South Korean relations,” she said. “That is another one of my passions besides global disarmament.”
You expressed interest in getting involved with how the WCC is working to support the idea of Korean reunification, and also helping families that were separated during the war. “I think that is really inspiring,” she said. “I think that is something I want to continue to look into, and work with the World Council of Churches.”
Student Erin Tsutsui said that her grandfather is a survivor of the nuclear bombing in Hiroshima. “I think that from this meeting and from the WCC I learned so much about how communication and storytelling is a unifying force, as well as religion, and how diplomacy needs to be people-to-people, and people should maintain a moral compass in regard to disagreement and peace building,” she said.
Wen offered a final thought how she appreciates that the WCC is nonviolent and tries to find the best way toward peace. “I love that you said that there is no holy war and only holy peace,” she said. “I think that the WCC is really inspiring young people, such as us, as well as people all over the world, as they have many different churches and places and other parts of the world.”
The WCC Visitors Programme receives 800-1,000 visitors annually from all over the world. In the last few weeks, in addition to local and regional visitors, the WCC has hosted groups from the UK, US, and South Korea.
Photo gallery |
No comments:
Post a Comment